You asked – and EpicRealm responded!
This is for the DIYers – a webisode Alex created on how to convert your video using free software.
Watch the video – Alex explains the process very well!
Here are the details in a (general) point form :
- When using a PC – Use software for the PC – “any video converter” – it’s free
- find it on www.cnet.com – it’s a good website because any files you download are pre-screened (no spyware)
- Download the software.
- Add your video –top left button
- Select video
- Open the video
- It will show stats about the video
- To remove beginning and end of the video –
- On right ‘cut’ – use the Scissors – press at the beginning and end point. Remember – you’re not editing! You’re just cutting off the front and back ends so the video looks more professional.
- Press Apply – this saves the video.
- Look at top right – select format – Mpeg 4 – customized
- Mpeg 4 is good for the web – it well optimized (internet & mpeg 4 are happy together)
- Screen on right – look at the options
- 2 main things directly affect the size for the web (small files are important)
- Resolution – 1920×1080 or 1280×720
- Always convert using HD – but use the lower resolution – it still looks great ( 1280×720)
- Bit rate – affects the quality of video
- the highest bit rate you want to use for the web will be 3000 kbs
- Lowest bit rate to use is 1000 – at 1000 you’ll see little dots and it won’t be really clear
- This video edited above is saved at 2000 kbs
- Don’t worry about the other settings (if you have questions, just call me/email)
- Last step – press the convert button
- The longer the video -(the larger the file size) – the longer it’ll take to convert.