Thanksgiving. Christmas. The holidays are arriving.
You can run… but you can’t hide.
Now that Halloween has come and gone, we are heading into the chaos of the holiday season.
Hate to break the bad news, but Christmas is only a month away and you’ve got to know that retailers will be pulling out all the stops to boost the bottom line. So look to see a bunch of flyers and advertising pieces cluttering up your mailbox at home…and also your online mailbox!
How do your customers shop?
In a December 2013 article that Courtney Gordner wrote on ReelSEO, she shared that in 2012, two thirds of online shoppers used video to help them find the gift they wanted.
Fast forward to 2015, and that number is probably much higher!
Wikipedia shared two interesting facts about online shopping;
- Forrester Research estimates that the United States online retail industry will be worth $279 billion in 2015,
- In August, 2014, Best Buy® reported its tenth (10th) consecutive quarterly dip in sales, citing an increasing shift by consumers to online shopping.
So, what does that mean for those of us who use video as part of our marketing mix?
It means we have a HUGE opportunity to use video to draw customers to our products, and boost our bottom line as well; but how do we do it?
We looked at a couple of articles and all of them hinted that keeping these points in mind were important:
- Make ‘em laugh! Even though he passed away over a year ago, why is Robin Williams still hugely popular? It was because of his wit and humor. Make sure your video drives the point home; just don’t forget to add a giggle to make it different. In this season of hustle and bustle, people are looking for a laugh every now and then.
- Go for the Gusto! Don’t get me wrong, while we just mentioned that humor is important, we are business folks, and you always want to create a call to action for those who watch your video to give your services a try.
- Give them time. Make sure you get your video out there early enough so that your audience has time to see it, and act on it.
- Promote, promote, promote! While you website is your online business card, supporting it with a splash of social media is an essential way to promote your video. Go ahead and toot your horn and get the word out to the world!
- “Thank You!” Those are the 2 most important words for any business person. In your video, NEVER forget to thank both your existing clients and your potential ones.
At Your Local Studio we’re creating our holiday videos as this post is written…
And in case you’re wondering what kinds of holiday videos we’ve done in the past…
Stay tuned for 2015!
Edited November 24, 2015 to add: Here’s this year’s video –> What are you thankful for?
What about your holiday greetings? Use a video!