So what is Marketing Automation? Well, rest assured of one thing, if you search “marketing automation” in your browser, you’ll get many different answers; but from all the results we read, Hubspot provided the best definition, a portion of which reads:
“At its best, marketing automation is software and tactics that allow companies to buy and sell like Amazon — that is, to nurture prospects with highly personalized, useful content that helps convert prospects to customers and turn customers into delighted customers. This type of marketing automation typically generates significant new revenue for companies, and provides an excellent return on the investment required.”
But, before you go pressing the “Yes” button to move forward with Marketing Automation, let’s look at a few do’s and don’ts.
- Automate the wrong things
- Think your marketing automation will create content for you.
- Be a spammer. Bombarding your contacts with a barrage of unnecessary messages is the worst offense you can commit.
- Set and Forget. You’ll get the most out of your automation by constantly revisiting and revising it.
- Take the human factor out of the equation. The involvement of your people matters most.
- Think ahead. Have a strategy and plan in place before you push the yes/no button.
- Understand that Marketing Automation is a technology; not a strategy.
- Keep your database clean and up to date.
- Maintain a constant voice and message.
- Encourage your sales and marketing teams to work together.
Done right, a well structured and constantly nurtured marketing automation plan can be the best thing you do for your business.
Marketing Automation can:
- increase your sales,
- motivate your people to sell your product,
- and bring customers beating a path to your door.
To read the articles we quoted from, click on their names below:
- 7 do’s and don’ts of marketing automation
- A Quick Guide to the 10 Dos and Don’ts of Marketing Automation
- Social Media and Marketing Automation Do’s and Don’ts