Do you need to create content that involves recording your iMac or MacBook screen? Are you having trouble finding the right tool for the job?
We’ve done the research for you for and found the best of the best screen recording apps for each platform, so you don’t have to! Watch the video below for more
Here’s a breakdown of the 3 best screen recording apps for your Mac:
Arguable the best option if you’re just doing a simple recording of your screen, with nothing fancy added to it. It’s free, and comes with your Mac. No extra software download required.
Key features include:
- Easy to use (records to file format that’s ready to edit or share)
- Records audio (from built-in mic or can select other audio sources too)
- Free & built-in (no program to download and no setup required)
Here’s a tutorial we found on using Quicktime to record your screen.
If you’re looking for more bells & whistles than Quicktime, Screenflow might be a better option for you. You can easily record your screen and your webcam at the same time, then get to work trimming your video in Screenflow’s editing software. You can also add call-outs, text, and other graphics.
Key features include:
- Allows you to record both screen and webcam at the same time
- Easy-to-use interface (feels like a native Apple app)
- Simple controls and relatively quick to learn
- Built in editor to modify and enhance the final video
If you’re new to Screenflow, here’s a video tutorial we found to get you started.
Then there’s the “big guns”. Techsmith’s Camtasia is the top dog when it comes to screen recording, and boasts plenty of hefty features. However, there is a greater learning curve involved, though Techsmith provides some tutorial videos to get you started.
- Allows you to record both screen and webcam at the same time.
- More advanced interface and feature set (increase learning time required)
- Fairly robust editing tool compared to every other screen capturing software.
- You can also export as SCORM compliant e-learning files.
Here’s a video tutorial on using Camtasia.
Out of all the research and testing we did, these 3 tools stood out the most to us for their ease of use, simplicity, feature set, and price. If you need to record your mac computer screen these 3 options will work for you!
Continue the conversation–join our Business Video Community on Facebook!
Kevin Kolbe is an online video marketing specialist, producer, storyteller, and creative dude who head’s up Kevin Kolbe Media, LLC. Find out more: https://kevinkolbe.com